The Forum Supports Local Youth
Opportunities for Youth
Since its inception, the Salt Spring Forum has been committed to youth engagement and leadership. Through our thriving partnership with the Gulf Island Secondary School (GISS), we offer many exciting opportunities for youth including volunteer roles. Please contact us to learn more or to get involved!
The Salt Spring Forum and the GISS Student Council also bring a number of speakers directly into the school for Forum-style events during school hours. These amazing events, moderated by recent graduates of GISS, are attended by 100s of students and Forum members. They are not to be missed!
Volunteer Opportunities for Youth:
We value youth participation at the Salt Spring Forum and recognize that today’s students are tomorrow’s leaders. Here are some of the many roles for student volunteers at the Forum:
- Managing the wireless microphone during speaker events
- Setting up and taking down at events
- Assisting at membership and information booths
- Engaging fellow students
- Photographing events
- Organizing youth-centred events
Why Volunteer with the Forum?
- Learn from (sometimes meet) incredible guest speakers
- Gain valuable leadership and future job experience
- Learn about current issues, politics, and more
- Contribute to your community
- Meet new people
- Earn a future reference or letter of recommendation
- Complete the GISS volunteer experience requirement (30 hours)
- Have fun and meet interesting people
Free Tickets to Students
The Salt Spring Forum highly values youth participation and offers free admission for students (and low-income residents) to Forum events providing the tickets are still available at the time they are requested. In order to receive a free student ticket, students must email email@example.com.